The Teamsters Local 727 Bargaining Committee and Pepsi management returned to the bargaining table on June 10, and after another 10-hour negotiating session, reached a tentative agreement on a new four-year contract.
“The company met us much more than halfway on an awful lot of language, like merging the contracts and the grievance procedure. This is a much stronger contract than the members have ever had,” said John T. Coli, Secretary-Treasurer of Local 727. “While we didn’t get everything we wanted when it comes to wages, it is still the richest contract ever negotiated with Pepsi.”
The tentative four-year agreement includes the following changes from the previous offer:
- All hourly employees will receive one sick day starting in year one.
- Non-hourly and hourly employees’ two personal days will be converted to sick/personal days.
- Wage increases are retroactive to April 29, 2016.
|Transport||$750 lump||$750 lump||$750 lump||$750 lump|
|Chicago D-Bay (commission)||$0.005||$0.005||$0.005||$0.005|
|Chicago D-Bay (base)||$20/week||$20/week||$20/week||$20/week|
|Chicago FSV (commission)||$0.047||$0.047||$0.047||$0.047|
|Chicago FSV (base)||$7/week||$7/week||$7/week||$7/week|
|Kankakee D-Bay (commission)||$0.005||$0.005||$0.005||$0.005|
|Kankakee D-Bay (base)||$19/week||$19/week||$19/week||$19/week|
|Kankakee FSV (commission)||$0.047||$0.047||$0.047||$0.047|
|Kankakee FSV (base)||$7/week||$7/week||$7/week||$7/week|
- The pension multiplier increases $4 (to $43) in year one.
- Field Service Technicians who are designated as Service Advantage Refrigeration Technicians will receive an additional $1 per hour (whether or not they are performing Service Advantage work), and the job classification will be bid by seniority.
- The union and management will meet every six months to discuss Service Advantage Refrigeration staffing levels.
- The company will use its best efforts to assign transport tanker runs by seniority. If more than one transport driver is available, the tanker run will be offered to the most senior driver, who will have the option to refuse the run.
- If the contract is ratified by July 15, 2016, employees will convert to the Standard Flex Benefits Program health care by Jan. 1, 2017.
All other contract language, benefits and provisions from the company’s previous offer remain unchanged.
The contract must now go to a member vote, which again will be conducted via mail ballot. The Local 727 Bargaining Committee has voted to recommend the contract for ratification.
“This negotiation process was long and tedious and, at times, incredibly frustrating, but the Bargaining Committee did an outstanding job of staying strong and communicating with the membership every step of the way,” Coli said. “I’m proud of each and every one of them for the way they spoke their minds and continued to stay united.”
The union will continue to update members throughout the voting process. If you have questions, contact your Local 727 business representative:
Mike DeGard (Kankakee): (847) 696-7500 or [email protected]
Vincent Blanco (35th, 51st, Elk Grove): (847) 696-7500 or [email protected]