About 60 funeral directors and embalmers took part in Teamsters Local 727’s continuing education seminar on Dec. 2 at the union’s meeting hall in Park Ridge.
Local 727 sponsors funeral CE seminars twice annually. They are free to members in good standing, and those in attendance can earn up to six total CE hours covering both funeral directing and embalming credits.
“This union has a longstanding commitment to educating our members, and the CE seminars who put on are a direct result of that commitment,” said John Coli Jr., President of Local 727.
The program featured expert speakers on the following topics:
- Noon-1 p.m.: Embalming Today, Jack P. Adams of the Dodge Institute Seminars (one hour of Embalming CE credit)
- 1-2 p.m.: Embalming Techniques, Tim Kowalski of Worsham College of Mortuary Science (one hour of Embalming CE credit)
- 2-3 p.m.: Forensic Autopsy Review, Marta Helenowski (one hour of Funeral Directing CE credit)
- 3-4 p.m.: Real World Embalming, Christella Pickens of Malcolm X College of Mortuary Science (one hour of Embalming CE credit)
- 4-5 p.m.: Funeral Directing and the Law, Cara Anthaney of Illinois Advocates (one hour of Funeral Directing CE credit)
- 5-6 p.m.: Technology and Funeral Directing, Kyle Tasch of Illinois Advocates (one hour of Funeral Directing CE credit)
“We always aim to find new, interesting and pertinent subjects in order to help our funeral members continue to grow and learn in their profession,” Coli said.
The union plans to hold another free CE seminar in the spring. Members are encouraged to share their ideas for topics with Local 727 business representative Zach Frankenbach at (847) 696-7500 or [email protected]
The union certifies attendance for the continuing education hours for the Illinois Division of Professional Regulation (IDPR) and maintains those records. Teamsters Local 727 has been an approved continuing education sponsor for the IDPR since 1998.
Teamsters Local 727 represents more than 400 funeral industry professionals throughout the Chicago area.