Teamsters Local 727 reached tentative agreement on a new four-year contract for 600 members at Reyes/Great Lakes Coca-Cola. Final negotiations stretched late into the night on Nov. 19 as the Bargaining Committee hammered out final details for strong wage increases, important benefits and fortified rights for drivers, bulk, merchandisers, laborers and all other Reyes Teamsters.
“After multiple marathon negotiation sessions, the Local 727 Bargaining Committee has secured a tentative agreement that members will be proud of,” said John T. Coli, Secretary-Treasurer of Local 727. “The union and the Bargaining Committee strongly endorse and recommend this agreement. We will work to ensure everyone fully understands the terms of the contract before a ratification vote is conducted.”
The tentative agreement includes:
• 3 percent wage increases for the first year and 2.5 percent raises each subsequent year; wage increases will be compounded every year of the contract
• Yearly raises to the daily rate and an $8 increase to the daily rate effective Jan. 1, 2016 for all driver merchandisers, OFS and reliefs
• An increase to $17.07 per hour for full-time general laborers effective Jan. 1, 2016 (which equates to more than a 5 percent raise) and 2.5 percent raises all other years
• Commission and case increases across the board
• Discounted rates in the Reyes Health and Welfare Fund in 2016 and lower overall premiums; workers also will be able to qualify for 90 percent coverage
• 50 percent company-matched 401(k) contributions for up to 10 percent of each worker’s salary
• Holiday pay raises to $175 for commission drivers
• Preserved vacation progression and the right of any worker earning 2 weeks or more of vacation to begin using one week of vacation time in daily increments
• New bereavement leave for step-parents
Wage increases and economic benefits are retroactive to May 2015, except those effective Jan. 1, 2016.
On Tuesday, Nov. 17, Local 727 also reached tentative agreement on all non-economics, including:
• Improved grievance procedure and just cause, with access to the grievance procedure for part-timers
• Volunteer sheets for overtime and protection from unnecessary mandatory overtime postings
• Semi-annual bids for merchandisers
• The right to not cross GLCCD picket lines
• $100 allowances for safety shoes with an increase to $125 in the final year of the contract
• Consecutive day workweeks for merchandisers
• Part-timers will get preference for full-time jobs and will be able to float to full-time positions faster
• Preservation of weekly payroll
The current contract has been extended to Dec. 31 to give members more time to review the new tentative agreement. Members will receive their own copies of the full agreement and the Committee will meet with members to discuss the terms. Members will be informed of dates, times and locations for voting to ratify the tentative agreement once details are finalized.
Reyes Teamsters are encouraged to attend the Local 727 general membership meeting at 12 p.m., Sunday, November 22 for more information.