The Teamsters Local 727 Coca-Cola Bargaining Committee met with Coca-Cola representatives on October 28 to kick off new contract negotiations. Both the union and management traded initial, non-economic contract proposals.
Economic proposals for wages, pensions and health and welfare will be forthcoming.
After several hours of deliberations following the exchange, both sides agreed to reconvene on Thursday, October 29, allowing for time to review the proposals.
In its initial offering, Coca-Cola management proposed:
• Eliminating guarantees for 40-hour workweeks
• Scheduling workers in Production and Recycling to any three-, four- or five-day schedules in a seven-day period
• Scheduling workers in Cold Drink Services to any four- or five-day schedules in a seven-day period
• Tightening the window for workers to sign-up for vacation days (management would assign vacation time if workers do not submit their preferences)
• Reducing medical leave time
• Shifting pay from weekly to bi-weekly
“The union is not interested in any proposal that would diminish the rights our members already have, limit their opportunities to work fair schedules or weaken their benefits,” said John Coli Jr., President of Local 727. “For our Coca-Cola members, Local 727 wants to move the ball down the field. The Bargaining Committee has submitted a proposal that is thorough and well thought out. We’re determined to strengthen members’ rights and advantages, which is precisely what we’ll be fighting for.”
Prior to bargaining, the Committee received more than 120 proposals from members for changes to the contract. Incorporating these recommendations, the union has proposed:
• Strengthening the grievance procedure
• Improving workers’ rights during workplace disciplinary investigations
• Stronger seniority and bidding rights
• Weekly guarantee protections
• Double-time for holidays and Sundays
• Time-and-a-half after 40 hours or any time beyond the regular work schedule
• Sick time, with more vacation and holidays
• Expanded medical and bereavement leave
Negotiations will continue October 29-30. Members will be informed as bargaining progresses. If you have questions, contact your Local 727 agent, Aisha Hurston, at (847) 696-7500 or [email protected]